So long since I have updated!

•August 8, 2010 • 1 Comment

I have so much I need to add to this blog! My wonderful trip to Japan was filled with much shakuhachi happiness and I have been working on making more shakuhachi. I will try and get a more detailed post up soon!


It’s been a while

•April 29, 2010 • Leave a Comment

I haven’t updated this in quite a long time and I am sorry about that. I have been planning on doing a better recording of me playing actual songs. I promise to get that done this weekend.

It is now less then 3 weeks before I head off to Japan for vacation! I am very excited. I have two shakuhachi lessons arranged while I am there. I hope I don’t tense up too much!

Test video

•March 11, 2010 • Leave a Comment

I took this little video on my lunch break today. Now that I know I can do this, I will try and do some better recordings over the weekend.

This is just some noodling around on a flute that I made. The transitions between octaves is a bit rough. I would like to blame the flute, but more then likely that is just me.

My first root end part 1

•February 11, 2010 • Leave a Comment

I recently bought a nice root end piece of bamboo from Monty to try my hand at shakuhachi making. After making a few test cast bore and PVC flutes, I decided it was time to start working on the root end piece. I have so far formed the utaguchi and started work on the bore. Currently, I am having issues with the octaves being out of phase. All of my attempts to fix this have only made things worse. I my end up putting it aside for a while and try again when I learn some more.

The sad news and the fun crafts.

•January 31, 2010 • Leave a Comment

So, Saturday morning I open up my beautiful, newly restored Kozan shakuhachi to do some practicing. I was horrified to see a huge crack running from the top most binding through to the end of the flute. This crack goes all the way through to the bore of the flute. Tomorrow it will be off again to visit Monty for more repairs.

That discovery made for a weekend without much playing at all.

I did however start working on the root end madake that I got from Monty.I cut the root end off a bit long and got a good start on the mouth piece. I hollowed out the bamboo and am happy to report that it plays pretty close to D. The second and third octaves are really close to in tune, being just a tad flat. I plan on getting the octaves closer before I start to drill the finger holes. I hope that this will be the flute I bring with me to Japan in the spring!

They are here!

•January 13, 2010 • Leave a Comment

Ah, my shakuhachi arrived today. Monty’s restoration work on them is wonderful! I will take some pictures soon to share.

Wow! What a great holiday weekend!

•January 4, 2010 • Leave a Comment

This past New Years weekend was wonderful.

I had a great lesson on Saturday. I had some problems playing at first, but by the end of the lesson I was doing much better. I have a bunch on new songs to work on including my first honkyoku, Hon Shirabe!

That night I received an email from Monty saying he had finished the repairs on my old jinashi. It was now very playable and he was able to do a sound assessment. He said that in many ways this is the most intriguing of the three flutes I sent him! Well, how could I resist having him refine that one also!

I also did some fine tuning on a PVC shakuhachi I am working on in anticipation of the bamboo I have coming from Monty. I was very happy on the tuning so far. I will try a little more now we found the chromatic tuner!